Tackling Wikipedia Articles

Over the last few days I grown more on the idea of researching into what causes stigmas (or in Mexico’s case what allows there to not be one or at
least not a noticeable one) behind being Indigenous in Mexico and Guatemala. I would tackle on these specific countries sections in The Wikipedia Article, “Indigenous peoples of the Americas” In comparison to one another these sections are drastically unbalanced in the quantity of information they provide.

The “Mexico” Section, of this lengthy article provides quite a bit of information about indigenous groups that you would find throughout different regions of the country. It also goes into slight depth about how the government interacts with tribes, recognizing their languages and grantings certain rights that protect their individual languages and overall culture. The “Guatemala” Section, is tiny in comparison really only scratching the surface of information potentially available online. This section mentions how the indigenous languages found throughout the tribes of people, do not enjoy “official” status. Meaning they are not represented in Government or in any official capacity unlike in Mexico where some services and documents can be requested in said indigenous languages. Both of these articles really fail to mention how the general public interacts with indigenous groups, and how their culture still plays an influential part of national and cultural identity. Guatemala’s section specifically lacks information on what role the government plays in interacting, communicating with, and representing this portion of their demographics.

The Talk page for this article really seemed to just be focused on correcting links and citations not so much on the information it held. Besides, someone mentioning that the alphabetical order in which countries were listed made no logical sense when wanting to connect the interactions and cultural similarities between different tribes of Indigenous people through, North America, Central America and South America. But, if you look at this source, I would be able to have a basis of information to add surrounding historical, cultural and modern political information about Indigenous Mayan groups in Guatemala. With a closer look to at Alajazeera’s credentials, I would be able to take into consideration the following source. To expand upon the contemporary issues and dsicrimination indigenous people face throughout Guatemala.

3 thoughts on “Tackling Wikipedia Articles

1. Keira

This is a really interesting topic, but it may be harder to find Wikipedia approved sources on non-official interactions with indigenous people, as in everyday people’s interactions. If I were you, I would try to follow the same format as the Mexico section in terms of adding information, since you said that section was already pretty in depth.

Reply
  2. Joseph

Cesar,

I love your topic! For one of my Noticias posts I actually wrote about how 10 members of an indigenous group had been brutally murdered by some Brazilian miners. Now, obviously you’ve chosen to focus on Mexico and Guatemala, so my Noticias article does not necessarily apply, but they are both focused on a similar topic: the rights of indigenous peoples in Latin America. Seeing that 10 indigenous people were murdered in Brazil really showed me that the rights of indigenous peoples in Latin America are not always protected and respected, and so I think you have chosen an excellent topic to research. In this post you mentioned that you were interested in researching the role certain Latin American governments play in interacting with indigenous peoples. That is exactly what I would advise you to focus on, because to me that seems like one of the most important issues regarding the indigenous peoples of Latin America. I would strongly recommend that you look into groups such as Survival International (link here: https://www.survivalinternational.org/) which is an international organization dedicated to the rights of indigenous peoples. Additionally, I know that Brazil has something called “Funai”, which is a government body that deals with indigenous peoples (which Survival International talks about here: https://www.survivalinternational.org/about/funai). Perhaps check to see if Mexico or Guatemala has its own equivalent of Funai!

Reply