Please read Camryn and Cesar’s articles. Before class please read the lyrics to “All I Blow is Loud” by Juicy J to get a frame of reference of Brazilian Funk lyrics. Also, please look at this translation of a funk song.
Mexican Radio Host’s Resignation Highlights Ties Between Government and Media Questions
- Do you think the governments involvement in media influences the media’s criticisms (or lack there of)?
- Does the media in general hold leverage with public opinion on government effectiveness? Is this a good thing?
Why is there talk of banning funk music in Brazil?
- Is the attempt to ban Brazilian Funk race or lyric related?
- Do you think music has a positive or negative influence on youth? Specifically do you think rap and funk promote drug and misogyny?
- What are the differences/ similarities in rap and Brazilian Funk? Why are U.S. citizens not trying to ban rap, but some Brazilian citizens are?